- Is an object oriented paradigm consists of encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism
- Unified Type system: all types share a common base type.
- Classes and Interfaces: comprised of Classes and Interfaces
- Properties, methods and events: properties – function members that encapsulate a piece of an objects state eg color, label text.
- Functons can be treated as values: using delegates, functions can be passed as values
- Supports pattern of purity: lambda expression, query expression and auto-properties for writing immutable types.
- Supports static typing : enforces type safety at compile time rather than run time
- Strongly typed language
- Performs automatic memory management during run time
- CLR has a garbage collector for reclaiming memory not being used
- Allows cross platform support for Mac OS, iOS and Android.
- ASP.NET 5 is the new framework which run either .NET Framework or .NET Core
The CLR and .NET Framework
- Consists of CLR and set of libraries
- CLR is the runtime for executign managed code
Packaged into assembly as .exe or .dll along metadata and type information
Represented in intermediate language which laters gets converted into machine language.